April 20,2017 - Babcock’s Perfect Game plan not so perfect for Lee County
PATRICIA BORNS , email@example.com
But the benefits of building 40 ball fields plus stadiums for the highly successful youth baseball business on that site aren’t as rosy as they at first seemed, a county study finds.
“It’s a very expensive proposition,” Lee County Manager Roger Desjarlais said. “We know what it costs to build one ball field. We don’t know much about the 300 acres, but we do know the estimate to build 40 fields is between $50 to $70 million. Is that the best use of the dollars we have?”
Desjarlais and his staff met with the Babcock team in early April to say thanks but no thanks.
“If we build 40 fields on Babcock, we start cannibalizing our own facilities,” Desjarlais explained. We decided to change our current course.”
Babcock, which has an application pending for developing its Lee land, will be changing course, too.
“We’re working through that right now,” Kitson said. “ Where the fields are is going to be residential, our mixed use would grow further north toward the Charlotte County line.”
“We just felt there were far too many of them,” Alva resident Ruby Daniels said. “The big question now is what happens to those 300 acres.”
Among the Victus Advisors study’s top recommendations for the county’s sports facilities:
- Grow the Player Development Complex on Edison Avenue to eight or more adult baseball diamonds, and beef up the lights on all fields.
- Ball fields are built in clusters of eight, not 40, study experts advised. A new county complex of eight, tournament-grade fields should serve many purposes – the main one, soccer,
- Indoor sports from wrestling to basketball should get a future lift, too, including up to eight basketball courts that can be converted for volleyball play.
- In all, invest in 19 new fields; eight dedicated to youth baseball and softball, eight for multi-uses and three for adult baseball.
- Also strongly recommended: a specialized ball field with a rubberized surface for Miracle League athletes.